Monday 26 March 2018


Now being a student you have the luxuries of lots of time off and long holiday.. So I thought to myself as a warm up for this summers expedition in Norway I would spend my Easter holiday exploring the coast of Wales. See how far south I get and hopefully get picked up before I have to go back to Uni.

Day 1 24/03/2018 Holyhead to Rhoscolyn
After the devastation of recent storms at the marina it was hard to leave everyone behind, there is still not much progress, frustration and stress don’t even cover a little bit of how people are feeling.
It was a lovely day, sun shining and a light breeze from the north.. perfect help to the start of a trip. Was also join by Lee for the first day which was nice to have company. It’s been a while since I have done a solo. The stacks were calm and beautiful, with the seals there to guide me around as normal.
 We followed the wind down to Rhoscolyn and set up camp for the night on a little beach just east from the main bay. Nicely a short walk to the white eagle for a night cap. A stranger at the bar commented on my hair.. thanks Eila for styling it.. you got a compliment on day one he he.
With clear skies the temperatures got down to minus 4. Not what I was expecting at the end of March. Little bit chilly but hopefully there won’t be too many nights that cold.

Day 2 25/03/2018 Rhoscolyn – Llanddwyn Island
After a cold night it was nice to stay in the sleeping bag a while whilst the sun came up. Loosing an hour in the day too. It was around 1300 before I got on the water. Still lovely sunny weather and a light breeze. Lee went his way to the car and I went south east towards Llanddwyn Island . Today was the first day in many without having a coffee. On trips I like to cut back as I prefer the warmth of my sleeping bag to making a good coffee. So after a few hours of paddling the headache began.. ouch.. tired also from the cold night wasn’t the best combination.
I paddled past the church in the sea, very beautiful scenery and again a helping hand from a few seals who were playing with the toggle at my stern. Sad to see the small pellets of polystyrene, which I tried to pick out of the water but not too easy to get them all.
Not feeling the best but I could see the lighthouse on Llanddwyn Island. It would be great if I could get there. So I plodded on and eventually made it. Just approaching the beach I was a little bit sick. So noted for next time.. give up coffee a few days before. I quickly got my tent up and had a few hour sleep before exploring the island and dinner.

Day 3 26/03/2018 Llanddwyn Island - Trevor
Crossing over to the main land. Lucky for me high water was at 0530 and I was aware of a strong breeze coming in the afternoon. So I managed to get my but out of the sleeping back at 0430 to catch the tide. The wind still light and the stars shining in the sky it was complete silence getting on the water at 0600. Not long before the sun came up. As I left the island there was a breeze from the south.. I can handle this it’s fine. So I made the decision to head straight to Trevor. Long and boring crossings I tend to set a 60minute alarm to stop have some water and a bite to eat. Getting closer to land the wind picked up. Tying to work out which bit of land was closer. I’m sure I did a big curve away from land, that’s what it felt like. But with a slight change in course along the way and battle against the head wind I was happy to make it to Trevor. Greeted by the dog walkers when I landed at 1030. Still not even lunch time I went for dinner instead. One of my favorite summit to eat meals.
Wind forecast to pick up I decided to make camp and head for a wander. I found a very welcoming pub Y Tŵr where I had company from the bar man, I was well fed and watered and a good opportunity to charge my batteries, body and electrical.





No comments:

Post a Comment